Music News, Reviews and live music video for the aging rocker set

September 15, 2007

Nasty

Out at The Enormous Room last night I became aware mid my 3rd drink of the Nasty conspiracy of the late 80's. At that time it seems there was a great concern about Nastiness. Janet Jackson indicated that although Nasty boys don't mean a thing, she also implored them "don't ever change". Meanwhile Vanity and her 6 (well 3, ok 2 not including Vanity) queried "Do you think I'm a nasty girl?" This is interesting to me if not only because I cannot recall any songs in the recent past that had a concern regarding the "nasty" question, but also because if someone currently told me they were nasty, I would believe they were "rude" or perhaps technically filthy (much like a certain local scribe I was annoyed by at said bar, but that story is for another time), rather than sexy in some way.

At any rate, I have few 'answers' about Nastiness and the enthusiasm of those in the late 80's to discuss the topic in song form, I just have questions. Oh yes I do.

No comments: