Music News, Reviews and live music video for the aging rocker set

April 13, 2008

Baby on Days Like This...

I hate to hassle an old dog, but toddling off to see Scarce at the Plough and Stars over the weekend was kind of a downer.

I'd been psyched to hear that the band had reunited in one form or another and were playing out now. I certainly played my copy of Deadsexy to death 10 years ago and had been saddened when frontman Chick Graning had to stop playing due to a brain hemmorage suffered around the time the album came out. So am I shooting fish or just plain old not being kind to say that the duo who appeared for an acoustic set just were entirely not up to snuff? Harmonies were off, new songs did not thrill me. I gave all my attention for a rendition of "Days Like This" but otherwise there wasn't much excitement to be had.

Lord knows I'll give them another shot, anyone can have an off night, because 10 years ago they were truly brilliant. Otherwise, maybe sleeping dogs should just be allowed to lie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also saw them this year, 2008, at TT's and while it was great to see them again, there was something sad (for lack of a better word) about it. We've all aged. Not that rock is only for the young, but that electric chemistry they (Chick & Joyce) had is hard to bottle. So, they are playing the Plough tonight and, like you, I plan to give them another chance. Not that they had an off night at TT's, it's just the whole time moving on thing, things changing, staying the same, but not staying the same.

mzamar said...

So, how were they?
I want to believe!