Music News, Reviews and live music video for the aging rocker set

April 05, 2008

jens Jens JENS

I know I'm being repetitive, but saw Swedish crooner Jens Lekman again this past weekend at The Paradise and again he was totally amazing. His band this time had been scaled back by a few women, and they weren't wearing smocks this time, but they'd been joined by a cellist and Lekman's vocals were stronger than ever. Many people sing, but few have the vocal complexity of Lekman, whose voice is reminiscent of Pete Fijalkowski of Adorable/Polak and a young Gene Pitney, that is if either of them sang with the sweetness of Jonathan Richman.

At the end of the show Lekman entreated the audience of 700+ "I know that I say this at every show, and I don't think many people take me seriously, but I'd really like to sing a song to you one on one. So after the show, if there's a song you'd like to hear, just come up and ask me and I would like to sing it to you one on one." Knowing full well I would doubtless swoon (and hurt myself) if this happened, I declined.

No comments: