Music News, Reviews and live music video for the aging rocker set

May 30, 2008

All The Ladies In The House

It just occurred to me how much people like writing songs about ladies.

Off the top of my head:

  • Lady - Kenny Rogers
  • Lady - Styx
  • Lady - Lionel Richie
  • Lay Lady Lay - Bob Dylan
  • The Lady Is A Tramp - Sinatra etc.
  • Ladies Night - Kool and the Gang
  • Ladies First - Queen Latifah
  • Hey Ladies - Beastie Boys
I can hardly type fast enough to catalog all of the Ladies I'm thinking about. Yet oddly, does anybody use the word Lady in real life? Isn't it kind of thought of as creepily retro-sexual now?

3 comments:

acaguilera said...

Sometimes my husband refers to women as ladies. "You ladies..." It started out as funny, but he says it so much to be funny now that it has become a bad habit. But never in front of the other ladies, so far.

KC said...

Since when had the term "lady" acquired the whiff of the pejorative? I use the term all the time! Miss Manners, am I at fault?

mzamar said...

KC, you're only at fault if you're in a band that covers Lady by Styx.

Or alternately, if you're *in* Styx.