Music News, Reviews and live music video for the aging rocker set

May 03, 2008

Big Dipper Reunion

The last time I saw Big Dipper was at the Channel. I don't remember who they were playing with or what year it was, but I do remember diminutive singer Bill Goffrier belting out a cover of Madonna's "You're An Angel", a move which at the time both perplexed and delighted me. Tonight I'll feel the same when the band (now reunited from the 4 corners of the country to support the release of compilation "Supercluster") end the evening with a set of awesome covers that include Shonen Knife's "Making Plans for Bison" and Wings' "Jet".

I suppose this anecdote just goes to show that even though it's been surely 15 years since these gents were last seen locally some things never change. Tonight the pop remains bright and the band don't even show that much wear and tear, save bass player
Steve Michener's hair which has turned from brown to shock white, making him look a bit like a 6 foot tall bass playing ghoul. New record wasn't on sale at the merch table, all they had were t-shirts. Luckily I was wearing the one I bought in 1990. Money saved.



Above - Big Dipper perform "Loch Ness Monster" at the show.

1 comment:

Inkwell said...

MzAmar! I can't believe I didn't see you there. Me and Linda Bean-P were rocking our asses off, three rows from the stage.