Music News, Reviews and live music video for the aging rocker set

November 05, 2008

Yes We Can: I love Obama, but it makes me throw up a little

I awoke this morning to a new kind of America, one where there is new hope at last for all of our collective futures.

I awoke this morning to a new kind of President. One whose marketing has been so slick, he's the only presidential candidate I can ever recall not only having a logo for his name (what is he, Prince?), but also who has released a celebratory compilation album upon election. "Yes We Can: Voices of a Grassroots Movement" features songs like "Signed Sealed Delivered" by Stevie Wonder, "American Prayer" by Dave Stewart and Keb' Mo' taking a stab at "America the Beautiful". This Triple A-fest of soft rocking songs designed to inspire venti latte drinkers at your local Starbucks certainly not the kind of thing I would ever want to buy, but how can one not be intrigued by the sheer marketing genius of it all? I mean, when was the last time you recall a presidential election ending in a compliation album?

So even though "Yes We Can" is full of the kind of hokey, goody-two shoes 'inspiring' music that makes me throw up just enough that it gets stuck at the top of your throat and then goes back down and you have heartburn for an hour afterwards, on the upside, this is still way better than whatever the album would have been if John McCain had won.

No comments: