Music News, Reviews and live music video for the aging rocker set

March 21, 2007

The Captain of what?

So there I was, waiting for some friends to join me for dinner, and just as I'm deciding between the squash risotto and the coffee-rubbed tenderloin on the in house sound system comes "Love Will Keep Us Together" by Captain and Tennille. I know the following is something I find surprising to say, but this song actually isn't half bad. In fact, it's really quite a winner. Penned by Neil Sedaka - the man who authored plenty of other kicky little hits like "Calendar Girl" and "Stupid Cupid" - it has a jaunty little hook, a sassy strut of a piano line, and a booty shaking bridge where Tennille wails "Young and beautiful, Some day your looks will be gone. When the others turn you off, who'll be turning you on? I will! I will! I will!"

I certainly can't recommend Muskrat Love (ick) or anything else the Captain and Tennille produced, save their son Dennis Dragon who went on to form The Surf Punks (go ahead look it up, I am not shitting you). But "Love Will Keep Us Together", well, you are admittedly worth a second look.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite thing about this song is at the very end, when they quietly sing, "Sedaka is back! Na na na na!" My dad pointed this out to me when I was younger. I assume it's in there because Sedaka wanted to make sure people knew that with this song, he was, well, back.

eo