Music News, Reviews and live music video for the aging rocker set

July 15, 2007

All Hail The Caesars

I was so happy to note adorable Swedish pop band The Caesars have gotten another venue for securing cash from their compositions, namely their song "We Got To Leave" is being used as the theme song for the totally addictive new A&E show "Confessions of a Matchmaker". This added to the time when "Kick You Out and Let The Sun Shine In" was used in an ad (for what I don't remember, but the premise involved kids dancing in a laundromat) and "Jerk It Out" being used in an IPod ad means that The Caesars are surely one of the most ad-friendly bands around.

When the band released "Youth Is Wasted On The Young" in 1998 it was one of my favorite albums of the year. But 9 years later I sadly can't report that musically things are much better for the lads. I was excited to catch the band a few years ago when they romped through town but the show was tired and the songs from Paper Tigers didn't have the same spark as older numbers. Then again, when you start your career quoting Russ Meyer movies ("She's such a groovy girl, I'd like to strap her on") and singing vicious little ditties about love and drug abuse ("I wanna smoke crack, 'cuz you're never comin' back, I wanna sniff glue, 'cuz I can't get over you") really, there's nowhere to go but down.

No comments: