Music News, Reviews and live music video for the aging rocker set

July 31, 2007

I Hate Sum 41

There I was, minding my own business, trying to find a reasonably priced copy of Mitch Easter's newest release "Dynamico" (no luck) at our local hipster record chain when I realized I was being assaulted by truly horrible emo. The culprit, the new release from Sum 41, "Underclass Hero".

I guess one of the benefits of being as terribly terribly old as I am (wait, let me put my teeth in for writing the rest of this post) is being able to remember when Emo actually had real feeling attached to it, and was not just a predictable array of skateably soaring chords accompanied by trite hollered lyrics scrawled in CVS notebooks by white upper middle class boys whose greatest pain to date was buying their IPod right before the new one with the video came out for the same price. Oh did that hurt your tiny little heart? Owsie-wowsie emo-boy. Maybe you should go get more fuel for your revolution at the local Hot Topic?

Needless to say I was suitably chased from the store after about 3 songs. I thought of telling the cashier how much the music currently on blows, but then I remembered when I worked at Strawberries and was forced to listen to The Cover Girls 20 times a day. Most of what is played in stores is a paid cross-promotion with labels. Pay to play. It's 'illegal' on the radio, but thank god not in record stores. But how much would I charge to listen to this record again? Hmmm...


No comments: