Music News, Reviews and live music video for the aging rocker set

August 22, 2007

Scrawl – “Bloodsucker” – or I continue my adoration of all-women bands and EP’s

I shouldn’t even get started about my obsession with Scrawl. It’s a sick thing that started with a cassette copy of “Plus Also Too” that was played until the notes nearly wore away and culminated last Halloween when I met Scrawl singer Marcy Mays hanging out at her current gig, proprietor of The Surly Girl Saloon. There at Columbus Ohio’s hippest eatery/venue (I vouch for the egg salad sandwich with gusto damn you bet), she sat at our table, told me to not get a bloody mary and complimented my vintage Cheap Trick t-shirt. Better than an autograph that.

From 1987-1998 Scrawl accumulated a catalogue of songs which detailed a rock girl’s life with a nearly uncomfortable honesty and vulnerability. Painful relationships, drinking, band practice, bad choices, fights with lovers, and the emptiness left in their wake were recounted like so many bent, torn, and beer stained snapshots, pasted with fading yet sparkly nail polish into a well worn heart shaped photo album. All this and they could rock too.

“Bloodsucker” was an EP that came out in 1991 on Feel Good All Over and has since been re-released on Simple Machines. Every song is a vinegar tornado of guitars and heartbreak plus an outstanding cover of Cheap Trick’s “High Roller” (and weirdly Paula Abdul’s “Cold Hearted Snake”). When it comes to love, Scrawl make it hurt so good.

More here.

No comments: