Music News, Reviews and live music video for the aging rocker set

April 07, 2010

Heavy Metal Cookbook "Hellbent for Cooking" Effin Amazing!

I buy a lot of books that end up not delivering on their promise. For instance, "Bye Bye Baby" by Caroline Sullivan charts a woman's lifelong obsession with The Bay City Rollers, but after the 40th running into the band in a hotel it kind of got boring. The same goes for "I Was a Teenage Dominatrix", where author Shawna Kenney spends most of the book assuring us she's really a good girl, really! YAWN!

I guess I should be more discriminating when it comes to kickily named books, but old habits die hard, and thus my recent purchase of "Hellbent for Cooking: The Heavy Metal Cookbook" by Annick Giroux.

Originally bought with the idea I would give it to a friend who loves Heavy Metal, and... well, cooking, after an in depth go over last night, I don't think I'm going to be able to part with it. Lifelong friendship is one thing, but do I really want to just give away this tome of home cookin' recipies by Anvil, Sepultura, and Uriah Heap? Cleverly, author Giroux has made the recipes so easy even the most simpleminded headbanger will find it within their grasp to whip up egg salad or a pizza from scratch, while more advanced metal connoisseurs might try their hand at making "black metal pie" (you paint a pentacle on the top in chocolate), Moroccan lamb, or even sweetbreads (that's cow brains, people and the recipe is by GWAR, who else?). Most importantly though, the part where one day you can look forward to hosting a dinner party with these foods and when asked about the dishes say "oh, I got the recipie from Thin Lizzy/Accept/Judas Priest..." alone justifies the cover price.

At last a book that delivered even more than it promised.

Now, to the kitchen!

No comments: