Music News, Reviews and live music video for the aging rocker set

April 13, 2010

Where are the Black Girls Who Rock?

Stumbled upon a post over at The Angry Black Woman that made me think - where are the black girl rockers? It is embarrassing that my list is awfully short: Joan Armatrading, Pauline Black of The Selecter and Poly Styrene of X Ray Spex (1/2 Somali). I was hoping I to include Deborah Iyall from Romeo Void (Native American), and Annabella Lwin from Bow Wow Wow (half-Burmese) alas!

I'll be putting on my thinking cap to think of more. Till then here's a nice video from The Objex - rare birds!




UPDATE: My dear beau has brought up Cindy Blackman - drummer for Lenny Kravitz and a rocker in her own right. I could wax poetic for hours about how much I love women drummers - sigh...




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sheila E. (Escobar) -- drummed for Prince for a while and of course had her own career. Looked and sounded great in cameo duty in 2005 in New York during a Prince show

Amazulu -- Singer Anne-Marie Ruddock (oddly, some X-Ray Spex connection) led this ska-based outfit and performed on The Young Ones ...

Gail-Ann Dorsey -- Bassist for David Bowie going on about 15 years; added bonus is she takes the Freddie Mercury part on "Under Pressure" during live shows and kicks ASS!

Neneh Cherry -- first with Rip Rig and Panic (hey, that's TWO Young Ones bands here!) and then solo

mzamar said...

Dur, I really should have thought of Neneh Cherry, I used to love her. She's not very rock, but maybe I am thinking of solo. Shelia E. I thought of right when I posted the bit about Cindy Blackman. Rock out girl drummers!